Concussion Management

The incidence of concussions among adolescents between the ages of 10-19 rose a staggering 71 percent. Boys sustained more concussions than girls annually, however, girls are more prone to a concussion in sports. Concussions related to sports account for 30% of concussions. The other 70% are a result of falls, traffic accidents, or being struck or hit. So it is critical to remember that anyone can get a concussion!

Another important thing to remember is that you don’t have to be hit in the head to sustain a concussion. Body blows or whipping your head and neck around can result in a concussion. Below is a table outlining typical signs and symptoms associated with concussion.

  • Physical

    • Headache
    • Balance Issues
    • Dizziness
    • Visual Disturbances
    • Light Sensitivity
    • Noise Sensitivity
    • Head/Neck Pain
    • Nausea
  • Cognitive

    • Foggy Feeling
    • Lack of Focus
    • Memory Loss
    • Concentration Loss
    • Slow Responses
  • Emotional

    • Depression
    • Sadness
    • Anxiety
    • Moodiness
    • Irritability
  • Sleep

    • Decreased Sleep
    • Increased Sleep
    • Can't Go To Sleep
    • Can't Stay Awake

Recent literature surrounding the evaluation and treatment for concussions has changed dramatically over the past several years. Recent evidence suggests the following intervention approaches:

  1. No bed rest or prolonged rest – gradual return to activities are encouraged.
  2. Reading, texting, and screen time are allowed.
  3. Return to school, and cognitive challenges are encouraged.
  4. ImPACT Testing is not predictive of return to sport or regular activity, symptoms associated with activity are the most significant predictor of return to activity.

Let the professionals at Physical Therapy Plus help you navigate the maze of a concussion and get your back to activity safely and expediently.

Call Us Today For More Information.

You Can Reach Us At 502-845-0005